I'd like to say that I have so much to be thankful for. I'm not going to go into a long tirade about what I am thankful for except to say that I am thankful to the new friends I have made on TB, my IRL friends and family, my husband and to anyone out there who might be reading the jacked up ramblings of this Crafting addict. One who just realized that she hasn't really posted a whole lot about her crafts lately. Oops. I will get on that.
Anywhoodles:
Let me tell you about my Thanksgiving Day Fiasco:
So on Thanksgiving eve I tried to get into the holiday spirit. I was determined to
get out of my funk and be cheery and enjoy my holidays. I love them
normally, so, I got into my holiday hustle and bustle of trying to get
everything prepped for Thanksgiving dinner. It ended up being one
disaster after another. No matter what I did, I just kept screwing up. I think next year someone else is cooking everything and I will make the damn green bean casserole. <.< (**grumble, grumble**)
So to start everything off: I
screwed up the surprise brownie cookie cake I made, Mr. C. So after
that first debacle I was going to redeem myself by making the brine for
the turkey and letting the turkey "marinate" in it for the full 8 hours
like it should before cooking it. So I grabbed the turkey and the
turkey was bad, (yes, bad) and it spilled turkey juice all over my
fridge, floor and kitchen. So I had to clean everything up and bag it up
in order to bring it back to the store to exchange it for another
bird. I got back screwed up the brine but it didn't matter in the long
run but still enough to make me say that I was done that night.
The next
morning I got up to make the turkey and start everything and then the
special turkey roaster I had, broke. So I had to go back to the store
because I didn't have an oven pan big enough. Then I burnt the crap out
of myself. I tried to cheer up and watch the Thanksgiving Day Parade and
our cable was out. Then I tried to get a jump start on washing dishes/
cleaning up and I spilled the pot with the turkey brine all over the
place. Que clean up number dos. I tried to make some dishes but my head
wasn't in it and kept miss measuring things. Stuffing was soggy,
(delicious, but soggy), the bird was cooked to long (but ended up being
fine, delicious and very moist. Thank God I decided to turn the bird
upside down again or it would have been dry as leather), and I didn't
even attempt the roasted cauliflower after all of these other things.
So at this point, my mil calls me and asks if we are on our way. Que meltdown mode since we were already running 45 minutes
late and it takes an hour to get to her house. I hadn't even taken my shower or gotten ready to go yet. I
walked up to my husband and asked him if he could watch the turkey
because I needed to go take a shower. He saw I was about to cry and he
just hugged me. It was so sad looking back on it. I was just so stressed
about everything and felt overwhelmed with cooking, about being a giant baby
about being on cycle 5, CD 1, missing my family, school, work, life. Just
everything felt like this giant weight on me and I just needed to go
decompress.
After I took my shower, got ready and we
were on our way, I felt much better. I just needed that moment for the
world to go away and just exist without anything or anyone needing
anything from me. The night turned out great and I had a very nice meal
with my MIL and Mr. C. All in all the night was salvaged by letting everything go and just enjoying the food and enjoying being with two people I care about. I honestly think that next year we are going out to eat. I know it sounds kind of terrible but I don't trust my MIL's cooking; especially not an entire thanksgiving meal. God love her but she can't cook anything that doesn't come pre-cooked in a microwavable tub. I just don't think I have it in me to do it again next year if my mother isn't there to help carry some of the load.
No comments:
Post a Comment